It’s time to get fit, but your taste buds are constantly nagging for those 3 slices of pizza… Am I right?
Well what if I told you, you can have the best of both worlds?
That’s right, I’m talking savory flavor and a fit body in return. (JACKPOT).
These 5 delicious meals will make pre-wedding dieting easy.
And by the way, I am a HUGE food junkie, so for me to say this healthy food is delicious means a lot!
1. Cilantro Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa
The whole “lime” and “avocado” thing already makes my mouth water.
This recipe is SO easy to make, and it only takes 27 minutes.
Cilantro Lime Chicken:
- 1.5 lb. boneless chicken breast
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 avocados, diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, diced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt to taste
- To a small bowl, add ¼ cup of lime juice, olive oil, ¼ cup of fresh cilantro, ground cumin, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Whisk until mixed.
- Add chicken and marinade to a large ziplock bag. Let chicken marinade for 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat (about 400 degrees). Place chicken on grill and grill each side for 4-6 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Remove and let sit.
- To make the avocado salsa: add avocado, ½ cup fresh cilantro, 3 tablespoons lime juice, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, garlic clove, and salt to a small bowl. Gently toss to mix.
- Top Cilantro Lime Chicken with fresh Avocado Salsa.
2. California Turkey and Bacon Lettuce Wraps with Basil-Mayo
I LOVE this recipe because I always get sick of what I make myself for lunch. Not only is this different, but it won’t ruin your diet plan!
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 4 slices turkey
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 roma tomato, thinly sliced
For the Basil-Mayo:
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise (make it healthier with a light mayo!)
- 6 large basil leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- For the Basil-Mayo: combine ingredients in a small food processor then process until smooth. Alternatively, mince basil and garlic then whisk all ingredients together. Can be done a couple days ahead of time.
- Lay out two large lettuce leaves then layer on 1 slice of turkey and slather with Basil-Mayo. Layer on a second slice of turkey followed by the bacon, and a few slices of both avocado and tomato. Season lightly with salt and pepper then fold the bottom up, the sides in, and roll like a burrito. Slice in half, then serve cold.
3. Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Roasted Tomatoes and Grilled Chicken
Okay… YUM. No-regret pasta = happy bride-to-be.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced into noodles
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- Toss the tomatoes in the oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until they start to caramelize, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste, grill it over medium-high heat, about 3-5 minutes per side, before setting aside to rest and slicing it.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the pan and cook until just tender, about 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Toss the zucchini noodles, tomatoes and chicken in the pesto and enjoy!
4. Eggo Waffle Breakfast Pizza
Although this recipe could be really unhealthy, I have changed the ingredients just a tad to give you a healthy rendition that will keep you on track with your fitness goals. With protein, complex carbs, and fruit, you’ll be energized without feeling bogged down from a sugar high. This is one of my favorite breakfast meals! (Another bonus: I’m always running late in the mornings, and this is something you can literally make in 3 minutes. My kind of breakfast for sure.)
- 1 Nutrigrain Eggo Waffle
- 2 Tablespoons natural peanut butter
- Sliced fruit–your choice–strawberries, blueberries, bananas, peaches–whatever is in season!
- Toast Eggo Waffle according to package directions.
- Smear waffle with peanut butter.
- Top with sliced fruit – squish into peanut butter so it doesn’t fall off.
5. Breakfast Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Umm, how is this diet food? I’m sure not complaining over here!
- 1 sweet potato
- 4 eggs
- 2 slices turkey bacon
- 1/4 cup low-fat cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash the sweet potato and pierce it with a fork. Wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave for 5 minutes or until tender, flipping it over halfway through.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a pan until crisp. Remove, crumble, and set aside.
- Scramble the eggs, add salt and pepper to taste, and cook them in the pan until just cooked.
- When the potato is cool enough to handle, cut it in half and scoop out about half the potato from each half. Reserve for later use.
- Fill each potato half with eggs, bacon, and cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds more until the cheese is melted. ENJOY!
- For oven–bake the sweet potatoes at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes. Follow the same steps, then broil for just a few minutes to melt the cheese.
So how are you feeling? More motivated than ever before to eat healthy? Yeah, me too. These meals make me happy, but reaching a health goal makes me even happier.
Do you have any other yummy recipes for a pre-wedding diet? Let us know.
Happy eating! (: