The summer months in both Texas + Oklahoma can get quite warm — but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t or can’t get married outdoors!
Hosting a warm weather wedding is totally doable! Here at THE SPRINGS, we host outdoor weddings all summer long and each and every one is an actual dream.
If this happens to be YOUR dream, let’s go ahead + MAKE IT HAPPEN, shall we?!
To help out, we’ve put together a few of our best “warm weather wedding” tips for you — let’s jump in + cool off!
- Choose a later start time for your ceremony. The later in the day you make it, the cooler it will be outside.
- Keep your outdoor, warm weather wedding in mind while dress shopping — for both you and your bridesmaids. Same goes for your groomsmen attire. Maybe skip the three-piece suits this time. 😉
- Print your programs on thick cardstock or make them into fans — trust us, your guests will LOVE YOU for this! We’ve also seen brides order pretty, paper fans. You can have these stationed somewhere on the way to the ceremony site (maybe next to the guest book or water station) or you can have a paper fan preset on each chair.
- Order paper parasols. These will help keep much of the sun off of your guests during the ceremony and they end up being so dang cute!
- Send out an email or some kind of message prior to your wedding, informing your guests that the ceremony will be outside. Give them permission to dress for the weather. Example: “Our ceremony will begin at 6:00 pm and will be held outdoors. It will be short and sweet, but we would still recommend dressing as lightly as possible, as Texas can be a little toasty in the summer. We will be sure to have icy cold drinks available upon arrival! And do not worry — the reception will be held indoors with the A/C working hard to keep us cool throughout the evening!”
- Consider wearing your hair up + make sure your makeup artist sets your makeup (so you don’t sweat it off) — doing both of these things will keep you as cool as possible throughout your warm weather wedding. Same for your bridesmaids!
- Consider doing a First Look and then knocking out your wedding party photos PRIOR to your ceremony. It may be a bit warmer (since it will be earlier in the day), but it will also cut down on the time you will have to spend outdoors following your ceremony — all that’s left will be family portraits! You will be able to knock these out and get the INDOOR party started much quicker
- Provide LOTS of iced down water bottles (or have a water station) for your guests upon arrival. If you only do one thing from this list, let it be this one!! Keeping everyone well-hydrated will be the most crucial component to the success of your outdoor, summertime wedding. The same will go for you and your groom and your wedding party — drink LOTS of water all day long. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
- Prior to the ceremony, you don’t have to necessarily let EVERYONE wait in the indoor, reception area, but we’d recommend letting your grandparents + older guests do so. If you’re up for it, let everyone enjoy the sweet A/C for a few minutes before heading out to the ceremony site!
- Have your guests hang out under the covered areas upon arrival — we suggest setting up your water stations here! (All SPRINGS venues provide a minimum of 5 cocktail tables). In addition to water stations, you could also offer popsicles, snow cones, or ice cream — these warm weather wedding treats are sure to keep your guests smiling while they wait. When the time is ready, have your officiant, DJ, or coordinator make an announcement, telling your people that it’s time to grab a seat.
- Start your ceremony on time. This keeps your guests out in the heat for as little time as possible.
- Keep your ceremony as short + sweet as possible.
- As soon as the ceremony is over, have lots of icy cold beverages available for your guests inside.
- For your groom (or any of the guys who will be wearing button-ups), have them bring an extra shirt (same color) to change into after the ceremony and prior to the reception. This way, they’ll be clean and dry and ready to celebrate!
If you have any more ideas or specific questions, let us know in the comments below!
And if not, then Happy Wedding — we can’t wait to hear about it!
If you’re still looking for the perfect venue to host YOUR warm weather wedding, contact us today —
we’d love to have you out to tour THE SPRINGS