Today’s topic of discussion — the Indoor Ceremony.
Every large scale event (especially something as special as a wedding) requires an alternate plan, in case of inclement weather. Inclement weather could mean unexpected rain, snow, or extreme cold/heat. This is where the indoor ceremony can come into play.
One of the best things about getting married at THE SPRINGS is the versatility — there’s always the option to move your ceremony indoors or outdoors with little to no change up in your planning + decor.
Some of our couples only use the indoor option as a backup plan. Others plan an indoor ceremony from the start. I mean, look at the photo below — how G O R G E O U S!
THIS POST IS FOR YOU IF…
- You are planning an outdoor ceremony, but want to have a contingency plan in place, in case of a change in weather. (You smarty-pants, you!)
- Your wedding is days away, you have been planning an outdoor ceremony, but now the weather is not looking so good — if so, no worries! We will walk beside you every step of the way + you will still have the wedding of your D R E A M S.
- You have been planning for a gorgeous, indoor ceremony + reception since day one. If so, we’re excited — let’s get started + make some magic happen!
SO… HOW DOES AN INDOOR CEREMONY WORK?
Let’s chat through a few commonly-asked questions below.
Q: Will everyone be able to see the ceremony?
A: Yes! Our venues are built with an “open concept,” meaning that inside the hall, there are no pillars or visual obstructions — not a bad seat in the house!
Q: Will our guests be able to hear if we have an indoor ceremony?
A: Yes! Since our venues have a built-in sound system, your officiant can still be mic’d.
More often than not, our couples opt to mic the officiant only, as the Bride + Groom’s voices can be picked up by this microphone as they stand on either side, BUT a wireless handheld microphone will also be made available by THE SPRINGS, if you decide you would like to use one for your vows.
Q: Where will the altar be?
A: For those getting married at a Ranch-style SPRINGS venue, almost all of our couples choose the stage or just in front of the stage steps for the exchange of their vows, although some other options have recently been gaining popularity, as well (especially for those getting married at a Manor, Tuscan, or Lodge-style SPRINGS venue).
Some of these options are placing the “altar” in front of (or on) the grand staircase or in front of the fireplace.
Tuscan or Manor-style venues:
Further altar locations are in front of the iron doors or in the center of the dancefloor with chairs surrounding on all sides. Talk about unique + romantic!
Q: Where will the ceremony aisle entrance be?
A: Most of our Brides choose to utilize the staircase as their grand entrance into their indoor ceremony because S W O O N — so pretty! As there is a hidden staircase up the back of the building from the bridal suite, you are able to appear at the top of the grand staircase without prior being seen by your guests or your groom.
At our Lodge-style venue, the bridal suite is already upstairs. 🙂
Some Brides choose to be escorted down the staircase, while others choose to have their escort waiting for them at the bottom, giving them some solo time in the spotlight.
In regard to your wedding party, some of our couples choose to have them enter down the grand staircase, as well — paired up two-by-two or in separate bridal party lines (groomsmen + then bridesmaids).
Others reserve the staircase exclusively for the Bride’s entrance and have their wedding party enter from the downstairs dressing suite or through one of the side doors.
Whatever you choose, there is no wrong way to do it. 🙂
See our Processional Guide here for your complete guide to who walks when.
Q: What will the room layout look like?
A: The options are limitless, but most of our indoor ceremony couples choose to have their reception tables decorated + preset, with rows of chairs set up and facing their “ceremony site” in the same way they would have been outdoors.
You may choose to set up enough chairs for your entire guest list (like in the photo above) OR you may opt for having just a few rows set up + reserved for immediate family, with the rest of your guests being directed to their seats at their tables (like in the photo below).
Remember — since our venues are built with an “open concept,” there are no pillars or visual obstructions that will block their view of your ceremony.
Once your ceremony has concluded, the chairs that were set up ceremony-style can either be relocated to their new place at the reception tables OR if you already have chairs around the reception tables, the ceremony chairs can be broken down and TA-DA… instant dance floor!
Super quick. Super easy.
Q: Who will move the chairs + tables once our indoor ceremony has concluded?
A: If you will be having a wedding planning/coordinator, they should be able to take care of this “room flip” for you (be sure to inform them ahead of time so the two of you can work together to come up with a plan for this).
This small “room flip” can also be taken care of by your groomsmen or ushers. Like we said above, it is super quick + super easy.
Q: I was not planning for an indoor ceremony, but the weather isn’t looking so good. I’m panicking — help??
A: Easier said than done, but try not to panic — we have seen hundreds of indoor ceremonies take place and we are here + happy to help. 🙂
One of our venue managers shared the following advice:
“When it comes to the weather… stay calm, rely on your experienced venue manager for advice, and try to focus on what’s most important – two people in love, starting a life together. The happiness that focus will bring can get you through anything.”
Hopefully, this post is a good starting point for you, but we also recommend reaching out to your venue managers (available 7 days a week by text, phone call or email), as well as posting in our Facebook group, SPRINGS Brides + Wedding PROs.
These two things should help put your heart at ease as we work together to come up with the perfect contingency plan for you.
Q: What about our First Look? Will we still be able to have one?
A: Of course! There are so many G O R G E O U S indoor options for your First Look, as well as covered areas outside if rain or snow is present. Feel free to ask your venue team + photographer ahead of time for ideas.
Q: And what about our formal portraits? Where will we take these?
A: Again, not to worry. Lots + lots of indoor options, as well as covered options outdoors.
A FEW PRO TIPS FOR YOU
- DRESS UP THE STAIRCASE A LITTLE BIT — As the Bride will most likely be making her grand entrance down these stairs, consider adding a little something special to the railings, along the steps, or at the base. (If you will be wearing a ball gown-style dress or a will have a long train or veil, consider decorating just the railings or at the base, as to avoid any problems).
- CREATE AN “AISLE” INDOORS — Create an “aisle” indoors by lining the walkway with candles, lanterns, rose petals, etc. Some Brides also bring in an aisle runner.
- CONSIDER ALTAR DECOR — There are so many pretty options if you are looking to bring in a backdrop or some kind of arch/altar decor for your indoor ceremony. See a few options below + post in our Facebook group for more inspiration!
- GET COZY — When it comes to creating an intimate environment, it’s hard to beat an indoor ceremony on a rainy or snowy day. Increase this feeling by incorporating lots of candles or twinkle lights. Dim the lights throughout the room, leaving only the stage lights all the way up.
- 100% SET ON AN OUTDOOR CEREMONY? — Who says you can’t get married in the rain? Before you write off the idea, you HAVE to see this outdoor, rainy-day wedding! SPRINGS Bride (Emily) says…
We got married in the rain and it was the best decision we made! We chose the venue for the outdoor ceremony space and refused to change it to an indoor ceremony. The officiant was about to walk down the aisle to start when it poured like I’ve never seen. We waited for it to lighten up and then went for it!
To wrap up — if you’re a visual person, be sure to check out a few of our favorite indoor weddings on our blog (links below).
One last thing we’d like to leave you with. Always remember…
If it rains on your wedding day, every time it rains for the rest of your life you will be blessed with a reminder of that special moment.
Please feel more than welcome to reach out to your venue team + post in our Facebook group. We are here + happy to help!
And if you’d like more information about hosting your own indoor ceremony at THE SPRINGS, we would love to have you out for a venue tour!
Excited to get planning alongside you!